Thursday, November 20, 2008

Back in Time: October 2008 post "We got a Pool!!"

We've had a bit of a crazy September by taking a foster dog for a few weeks (handicapped with Spina Bifida 10 month german shorthair pointer puppy) and he was a lot of work but helped me feel more empathy for people who do take care of handicapped dogs. Unfortunately, with Susan's school schedule and me working and his needs, we weren't able to take care of him longer term. Thankfully, he just went to a forever home in Arizona!

On the business front, I bought a pool!! Louisa found this listing on craigslist and I talked to the guy and ended up buying his pool. Its a 2007 model of a 17' Hydropool. (http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/en/swimSpas/aquatrainer/17_features.asp)

Now, I just need a place to put the thing! What to do! I was looking around all over - in San Francisco mostly - because Pacifica just wasn't working out. I found lots of interesting places -- an old auto supply store that was 4500 sf, but $11,000/month and buildings over on the other side of town that have a lot of dog daycare/training facilities ... My Sirius dog trainer (where I'm assisting as a dog trainer in classes) said that I could put it at her house and I drove down on Saturday to measure her garage -- but it wouldn't quite fit. :(

Then, on Sunday, I decided to just start driving around! (I was procrastinating from work work on a Sunday. . .) Guess what then? I found a place with a 'for rent' sign in the window. Talk about old school! I called, talked to the wife of the landlord; she agreed to come show me the building later that afternoon. Susan came over from school and we did a walk through.
Its not perfect, but its pretty darn close! About 1100 sf of open space with 9'-10' ceilings and a large 2-car roll up door. There's also a lobby, an office/receptionist area, and large bathroom. Just needs a couple doors, some paint, and a way to drain off water (that could get expensive) and probably either plumbing or electrical work depending on where the pool ends up.

Unfortunately, I think the space is too small to do dog daycare but maybe we'll see after a few months if there's enough interest in it. It is large enough to host dog training classes (of perhaps 6 dogs) if I want to put in the rubber or other dog appropriate flooring.

I talked to the landlord today and he said its mine as soon as I get him a deposit. I'm going down to the city on Thursday morning to apply for the conditional use permit - another long process but hopefully I can get it before 12/1 when I need to pick up the pool!!!

Feels like things are coming together.

One last story and I'll let you go . . . I had my first dog swim client come over to my house yesterday! The aformentioned dog trainer has a Bichon agility dog who's been having sporadic shoulder and back problems over the past year but bad enough in the past month that she's withdrawn him from Nationals and has been trying to figure out what is going on for a bit here. She finally brought him over for a swim on Sunday -- we got in, he wasn't very sure about the water (more like, "um, something's touching me"), and was definitely trying to climb over my shoulder. We just kept trying to relax. I let him swim a couple of times, that looked pretty good, he was fairly even and very strong. She gave him treats and lots of praise for the swimming.

The amazing thing was when we got out, mom took over drying him off and he became a crazy hyper boy! She commented over and over that this is her champion agility dog and this is what he used to be like. He was barking for more treats, jumping, doing tricks, rolling on the carpet (to dry off), etc.

So yipee! I have a new customer and a water convert!!!

No comments: